Tuesday, August 19, 2014

sundried tomato avocado pesto (or, being vegan is a cinch!)




Over the past few months I have debated whether I should challenge myself to do a "vegan month" - I figured it wouldn't be too tricky since I'm already mostly vegetarian on weekdays (ah, the combined frugality and laziness of a grad student).  But then I would think long and hard, and visions of cheese, lattes, ice cream, and most importantly morning omelettes/scrambled eggs/savoury breakfast of any sort would dance around in my head, and I would sigh and think "another month, perhaps".  Last week I decided to finally make a compromise, and simply do a "vegan home cooked dinners month" - enough flexibility to give me my cheesy omelettes but also something to motivate me to cook more interesting meals on weeknights! 

Tonight, I made a sun-dried tomato avocado pesto spaghetti, taken from Blissful Basil. It was delicious, creamy, and savoury, and didn't take very long at all. I paired it with garlic mashed cauliflower mixed with nutritional yeast flakes (which apparently mimic the taste of cheese).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
  • Half a jar of sundried tomatoes
  • 1 avocado
  • Lots of basil leaves!
  • 2 chopped cloves of garlic 
  • 1 package of spaghetti 
  • 3 tablespoons of lemon juice 

Supa Straightforward Steps

Put avocado, sundried tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic and lemon juice in a small hand blender (or food processor).

Blend! Add more lemon juice/sundried tomatoes to reach the consistency you prefer.

Add sauce to prep'd spaghetti. 

Before and after blending pesto


No comments :

Post a Comment